Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thing 12 - Digg, Mixx, etc.

I looked at all four social media sites. The one that presented their site the best was Mixx. The tutorial was very good. Being able to watch a video of the site was more informative than reading how the site works. If I were to join one, Mixx is the one I would join.

At this point in my career and life, I can't see that I would use this a lot. I think the opportunity is fantastic. I just can't see myself being that tied to my computer that I would look there very often.

If I was working in a reference library, I might see a good use for it. However, I think there are better sources for sharing resources. The social side of this seems much more personal than professional. There is nothing wrong with that, but I don't want the computer to be my way of interacting socially.

It is very easy to share stories to one of these sides. I did that from the New York Times to Digg. Someone else had already shared that same story. But the ease of use is amazing. 

So many of these 23 Things are all inter-related. The knowledge I have gained in just these first 12 Things is great. But I am also finding that I am spending way more time on the computer learning these than I will eventually do in my day to day life. After I have completed the 23 Things, I will go back and use all those that will support me in my teaching in my personal life.

This continues to be a great learning opportunity!

No comments: